Art and Design Curriculum Vision
Our Art and Design Curriculum embodies our values of:
Personal Excellence by ensuring the children make progress in the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
Respect and Friendship by ensuring children know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation
Inspiration by engaging and inspiring the children to be creative, experiment and invent their own works of art
Determination and Courage by challenging children and encouraging them to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design
Equality by using art from history and different cultures to inspire, engage and challenge the children.
We incorporate, wherever possible, the work within the topics making links with other curriculum areas. The children are encouraged to reflect upon and evaluate their work and that of others to enable them to develop their ideas and reason.
At Halstead Community Primary School children in key stage 1 will be taught:
· to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
· to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
· to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
· about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Then in key stage 2 the children will be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design. This will involve teaching children:
· to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
· to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay] about great artists, architects and designers in history.
Key skills and knowledge for Art and Design have been mapped across the school to ensure progression across the key stages in two year cycles. The lessons are taught as part of the topic units of work.
Through our Art and Design curriculum, the children will:
· produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
· become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
· evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
· know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Therefore our curriculum will engage children and develop their knowledge, skills and understanding of artists, line, colour, pattern and texture, form and space and evaluating and analysing work.
Essential Characteristics of Artists
Through our Art and Design curriculum we will encourage children to develop the artistic characteristics:
- Persistence to continue doing something or trying to do something even though it is difficult
- Passion for art and design
- Excellent attitude to learning and independent working
- Significant levels of originality and the willingness to take creative risks
- Thorough knowledge of tools, equipment and materials
- Develop skills in a wide range of art and design techniques